Sunday, November 22, 2009

Moab Half Marathon



I ran/jogged the Moab half marathon in March and it was a blast. Our wonderful neighbors made spaghetti dinner down at the campground. It was fun to have all of us down there. We stayed at the Red Cliffs Lodge with our friends the Pattericks and the Earls. We got there late at night and went out onto the deck of our cabin. It took a few minutes for our eyes to adjust to the darkness when we realized that there was a monstrous red cliff right across the river. It was gorgeous. We left early the next morning for the run, so we definitely want to go back and stay because it was amazing. Or we could stay at the "OK Campground" where Donnarae, Jon, and Chelsie stayed because like it says, its "okay". We rode down to Moab with them and it was fun. Back in the good old days when they were close.
I loved the run. As I was running, I saw an elderly couple sitting outside their trailer in one of the campgrounds. Their adult son sat a few feet away in his wheelchair. As I ran along, I couldn't complain about my knees or feet anymore, or about the 7 miles I had in front of me, because I could run. I thought about the great effort these parents made to take their child camping even though most people their age are empty nesters. How they all must have wished for the ability to run.

My next epiphany was when I realized how lucky we are to run in this beautiful world that has been created for us. The cliffs are so majestic, it just turns your thoughts heavenward. Or maybe it is the pain that makes you wonder if you are going to survive. I kept running the whole way and was proud I finished, even if I took my own sweet time.

We hiked a little after the race. Daxton came down with us and he did really good hiking. Now we just have to start training for next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment